Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Do-At-Home Sand Art

I thought I had a good deal getting a pack of Sand Art for only two dollars from Daiso. Turned out the two sticker pads were blank - meaning we had to draw and cut everything ourselves - a real DIY!

Original pack comes with coloured sand in little plastic bags

I got the kids to draft out what they wanted on a rough piece of paper before starting on the 2 sticker pads provided. We had to draw something that was not too complicated so it was easier to cut.

CH's draft - the details would have been tough on my hands

SW's draft - a good start

After sketching their pictures, the children could not wait to begin. Unfortunately, they had to wait for me to cut out the parts before they could pour sand in each portion like they do with the ready-cut ones. To save time, I modified some of the details. Especially for CH's, I got her to draw me another butterfly. It was a good thing as my fingers could hardly bend back towards the end...

The sand that came with the pack was not generous enough. Towards the end, we ran out of some colours. I tried to work around it by creating graduation in some portions. Though the results were not entirely to my satisfaction, they pictures were uniquely theirs.



I managed to find some ready-to-play packs with Barney prints at a chain supermarket a couple of days after that. Some departmental stores sell them too at an affordable S$3.90, and comes with a more generous amount of sand.

No comments: