Wednesday, October 6, 2010

The Stress of Parenting

"There are 6 triggers for bad behavior: tiredness and hunger; an immature brain; 
unmet psychological needs; intense emotions; parental stress; 
and a parenting style that activates the alarm systems in a child's lower brain."

 - The Science of Parenting by Margot Sunderland, DK.




I got up at 5 this morning, unable to go back to sleep.  Thoughts about CH made me pick up this book - again.

Tiredness and hunger - CH is constantly asking for something to eat.

An immature brain - "Trying times with under-fives are often the result of immature brain systems" - Oh yeah, CH is only 4.

Unmet psychological needs - What could that be?

Intense emotions - Have I been missing her cues?

Parental stress - I have been rushing for deadlines.  Figures.

A Parenting style that activates the alarm systems in a child's lower brain - A good reminder that I need some self-reflection and adjustments.

For now, I'd better dig into "Mastering CSS" before waking the kids up for school.


1 comment:

Mum in the Making said...

Those points make alot of sense! Thx for sharing... Hang in there!!